Mr. Wilkinson serves as the legal advisor for multiple technology and manufacturing companies financed by serial entrepreneurs, angel investors and private equity firms. His strength is solving difficult problems by understanding the complexity of the personal, legal and business relationships and then recommending a strategy that will lead to win-win solutions and significant revenue opportunities. If you have problems in any of the following areas, he can help you solve them.
Ownership, Control and Divestment Problems
- I own an interest in a business, and I no longer want to own it or I want to increase my interest or control.
- I own an interest in a business and someone else owns an interest in the business, and I want that other person to divest or to have less control.
- I own interests in multiple businesses, and I want those interests to be aggregated in a single business.
- I own an interest in a business, and I want that interest to be divided into separate interests or businesses.
- I own an interest in a business and someone else also wants to own an interest in the business.
- I own an interest in a business, but the documentation of ownership or control by myself and others is inaccurate, insufficient or missing.
- I own an interest in a business, but the documentation of ownership or control of important business property is inaccurate, insufficient or missing.
Acquisition and Investment Problems
- I want to acquire an interest in an existing business.
- I want to acquire an interest in an existing business and someone else wants to join me in acquiring an interest in the business.
- I want to start and finance a new business along with a strategic partner or with at least two other people who will be either co-investors or executive employees.
Vendor/Customer/Employee/Consultant/Strategic Partner Problems
- I want a custom contract for an important vendor, customer, employee/consultant or strategic partner.
- I want to terminate a custom contract for an important vendor, customer, employee/consultant or strategic partner or they want to terminate it.
- I want a form contract for certain types of vendors, customers or employees/consultants.
As an experienced and trustworthy corporate law attorney, Mr. Wilkinson has also planned and implemented many complex corporate restructurings, mergers and acquisitions of privately-held businesses. He has extensive experience establishing commercial arrangements at every stage of the supply chain, from the factory floor to the retail/Internet store. He knows how to negotiate and structure patent and intellectual property license agreements, clinical study agreements, joint venture agreements, joint operating agreements, asset purchase agreements, stockholder agreements, buy-sell agreements, limited liability company agreements, cross-purchase life insurance trusts, letters of intent, term sheets, employment contracts, consulting agreements, services agreements, business owner separation agreements, non-compete agreements, loan agreements, promissory notes, guaranties and security agreements.
Mr. Wilkinson attended the University of Michigan as an undergraduate, where he graduated at the top of his class in electrical engineering before earning his Juris Doctor degree at Yale Law School.
Mr. Wilkinson began his legal career as a judicial law clerk for Chief Justice Robert N. Wilentz of the New Jersey Supreme Court. Following his clerkship, he was awarded a position as an associate in the Project Finance Group of the elite law firm of Dewey Ballantine in Manhattan. He has also served as president of an organization that managed the investment activities and tax reporting of the corporate general partner for a five-member investment partnership.
With his extensive background in technology, finance, and business law, including researching and writing his own patent, Mr. Wilkinson is well-positioned to analyze his clients' industries, business interests and legal needs, and to help them develop a road map for their success. He is skilled in clearly communicating complex legal concepts in a way that enables clients to confidently make the decisions that will best serve them and their companies.
- Yale Law School, J.D. (1990)
Editor, Yale Law and Policy Review
- University of Michigan, B.S. in Electrical Engineering, summa cum laude (1986)
Admissions to Practice
Articles & Presentations
Anthony Wilkinson demonstrates his knowledge, experience, skills and competency by regularly sharing what he has learned with others.
- Panel Presentation: “Crucial Technology Issues in Modern Law Practice - Handling and Protecting Documents, Communications and Client Data,” New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, July 2017
- Panel Presentation: “The Paperless Office,” 2017 Solo and Small Firm North Jersey Conference for the New Jersey State Bar Association and New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, March 2017
- Article: “Licensing a Trademark While Minimizing Exposure to Liability Arising from the Business Relationship with the Licensee” by Anthony Wilkinson and Lisa Gora, New Jersey State Bar Association Business Law Section Newsletter, Vol. 37, No. 3, January 2014
- Panel Presentation: “Being a Better Steward with Ten Steps on Spending Less on Legal Professionals,” Star 99.1 Business Networking Seminar, November 2013
Continuing Legal Education
Anthony Wilkinson ensures that he is well-prepared for any legal task needed to serve his clients by regularly participating in continuing legal education programs such as the following:
- IP Ownership Use and Protection Provisions in Commercial Contracts
- Structuring LLC Operating Agreements - Crafting Fiduciary Duty, Indemnification and Exculpation Provisions
- Legal and Tax Considerations in Drafting Business Owner Agreements
- Convertible Debt and Priced Equity Rounds
- Best Efforts, Good Faith, Fair Dealing in Commercial Contracts
- Candidate for U.S. Congress from the 6th District of New Jersey (2014)
- Adjunct Professor of Business Law, Pillar College, New Jersey
- Member of Ethics Board of Township of Old Bridge, New Jersey
- Volunteer teacher and educational trainer, Monmouth Worship Center, New Jersey